Masters Certificate in Municipal Leadership
Unique in Canada, our university-level program provides a powerful leadership learning experience for municipal managers
The future of administrative municipal leadership has arrived!
Within 5 to 7 years, it is estimated up to 45% of municipal managers will be retiring. Are you equipped to take up the challenge of new leadership responsibilities?
The rapidly changing cultural, economic and political climate requires today's municipal professional to make a paradigm shift in leadership
style, strategy and operational performance. Now is the time to sharpen your management and leadership skills, learn best practices and prepare for continuous municipal sector advancements.
The goal of The Masters Certificate in Municipal Leadership is to equip municipal managers to effectively lead their municipality into the future. This is the definitive municipal leadership program in Canada. Aspire to lead people, teams and departments to a new level of excellence.
Tom Naçu, National Program Director
Centre of Excellence in Municipal Leadership
Schulich Executive Education Centre
Schulich School of Business, York University
Participants will receive all program learning materials electronically on USB flash drive. Please bring a laptop PC or suitable tablet to class. Alternative arrangements can be made upon request.
Aspire to Lead in Operational Excellence
- Understand your leadership abilities with a 360° Leadership Assessment and related tools
- Develop advanced leadership abilities with hands-on and peer-to-peer learning during in-class exercises and through case studies
- Develop new skills in strategic management, negotiations and operational improvement planning
- Explore trends in municipal management with a vision for public sector reform
Program Schedule (5 days per module)
Module 1: Essential Skills For Municipal Managers
1. Improving Personal Leadership and Team Dynamics (3 days)
2. Coaching and Mentoring for Peak Performance (2 days)
Module 2: Achieving Operational Excellence
3. Strategic Management and Strategic Thinking (2 days)
4. Political Acumen (1 day)
5. Improving Organizational Performance (2 days)
Module 3: Public Sector Advancements
6. Dynamic Employee Engagement in Times of Change (1 day)
7. Negotiating and Collaborative Management Techniques (1 day)
8. Leadership Skills for Engaging Others During Change (2 days)
9. Managing with a Vision for Performance (1 day)