Understand and respond effectively to the broader context of public sector management
Global Trends in Public Sector Management
The public sector is under great pressure to change. The economic, social, demographic, environmental and technological drivers and trends that propel these changes are global in nature. Governments and public-sector organizations must develop innovative practices to adapt to and deal with these changes.
- Understand how public service is evolving in Canada
- Obtain an overview of the global drivers and trends that propel changes in the public sector
- Identify examples of innovative practices used by government and public sector organizations to deal effectively with these global drivers and trends.
Developing a Strategic Mindset
Strategy is challenging in the government and the broader public sector due to changes in political leadership, external factors, stakeholder advocacy and scrutiny by the media. Exceptional leaders recognize that only when strategic thinking becomes a part of everyday working life will it strengthen options to take actions today that position the organization effectively in the future.
- Understand why a “systems” approach is critical to effective strategic thinking and planning
- Cultivate a “growth” mindset versus a “fixed mindset” to improve your personal and strategic leadership abilities
- Foster a strategic thinking mindset within your teams and culture
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Gain new critical thinking skills; improve your ability to examine issues from new perspectives, reframe them, and resolve them with creative problem-solving techniques.
- Improve competence in anticipating and preventing problems before they occur
- Determine the causes of problems using root cause analysis
- Develop new approaches to decision making, problem solving and managing public policy dilemmas
Stakeholder Relations, Strategic Alliances and Political Acuity
Successful policy, program design and delivery require effective stakeholder relations, strategic alliances and partnerships. Political acuity is an essential competence to managing stakeholder relations and realizing your goals.