The Key Roles of Supervisors and Front-Line Managers:
The Essentials of Progressing in Organizations
- Transitioning from doing to being responsible for results
- Acting as a role model to others – what does that really mean?
- Supervisory responsibilities – what does that entail?
- How does this “translate” in managing others?
- Explore the potential strengths and non strengths of your style
Developing a “Different, Progressive” Mindset
- Clarifying your authority/limitations
- No longer a “member” of the team – what it means
- Challenges we encounter when we consider progressing
- Working with older, more experienced staff, former peers, managing a diverse workforce
Goals Setting and Managing the Resource of Time
- The supervisor/manager’s role in setting goals, sustaining them to successful completion
- The planning process and prioritizing the work
- Time management strategies
- Increasing effectiveness by managing the resource of time
- Identifying opportunities to add-value
Effective Leadership and Team Motivation Techniques
The Supervisor as a Leader
- What is leadership?
- The importance of becoming a role model
- Competencies/behaviour and skills of great leader – why these matter?
- Managing the different daily interactions – how do we respond?
- Your leadership style: what does it mean and implications
Working with and through others
- Defining teams now
- Building teams: 4 stages
- Conduct, characteristics and behaviours of successful teams
- Fundamental motivation techniques: telling and asking employees
- Valuing the diversity of the team
- Creating opportunities to achieve
- What do we value in work?
- Fundamentals motivational techniques: telling or asking
- Creating opportunities to achieve – why this is an important aspect of motivation?
- Motivating without money – dealing with morale issues
Communication Skills and Staff Development
Communicating Effectively with Staff
- Recognizing the barriers to good communication
- Key elements of effective listening
- Using Questions as a tool to source more information
Coaching to Improve Performance
- Five essential steps in coaching success
- When and how to coach
- Difficult employee issues – common warning signs,
what to do and what to avoid
- Managing your “hot buttons”
- Setting standards and targets
- Giving feedback to staff – the great, good and not so good
- What do employee complaints tell us?
- Providing constructive feedback that gets results
How to delegate to achieve higher productivity
- Learning to let go and set consistent goals for your team
- Effective delegation techniques – a form of training/development for staff
- Involving your staff in setting parameters and time frames
Managing Diverse Teams and Problems
Your Workforce Make-Up Managing Generations
- What generations exist in the workplace now
- What defines a generation
- What this means in our workplace
- Differentiations between the generations
- Finding common ground
- Managing conflict amongst the generations
- Learning from each generation
Problem Solving, Decisions and Teams
- What types of decisions do supervisors and front-line managers make?
- Getting agreement on problems – What role does a team play?
- Six steps in solving problems
- Tools that can help successful implementation
Managing Difficult Situations
Management Ethics – their importance in the workplace of today
- Basics related to ethics in the workplace
- Forces involved with ethical behaviour
- Understanding the role policies, procedures, and protocols play
- Ethics, communication and feedback
Resolving Disagreements or “Conflict”
- Challenging Employees – what does this really mean
- Manager’s responsibility and accountability
- Steps in dealing with the tough stuff
- corrective not punitive action
- counsel & coach before discipline
- the fairness factor of caring
- Where do we “go” when it doesn’t work
Providing Constructive Performance Feedback
- Pulling it all together when having those difficult conversations
- Planning for feedback that is accepted by staff
- How to start the discussion, keep it on target, and reach a successful outcome
- Documentation, suggestions, tips, and employee action plans
Wrap Up and Evaluations